This recipe, by Patrick McCormic, won 3rd place in the 2017 Loveless Cafe Biscuit Contest at the Williamson County Fair.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cut in the flour, shortening, and lard until mixture forms soft pebbles.
- Pour in buttermilk and mix until just together.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface and knead 4-6 times, it should be fairly loose.
- Pat dough out to a 1/2 - 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut your biscuits with your favorite size round cutter and place them on your prepared baking sheet.
- Melt the butter and the maple syrup and stir together. Lightly brush the tops of the biscuits.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush the biscuits with the butter and maple syrup mixture again.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Thighs
- Combine buttermilk, hot sauce and chicken thighs in a freezer bag. Close the bag, squeeze out as much air as possible, shake vigorously.
- Refrigerate for 2 or more hours, preferably overnight.
- Combine flour, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and salt in a wide bowl; set aside.
- Heat up shortening in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Toss the chicken thighs into the flour mixture and gently place in the skillet.
- Fry 4 minutes on each side gently moving the chicken every 30 seconds to cook evenly.
- Allow the thighs to rest 10 minutes before serving.
Sunday Chicken Biscuit Assembly
- Split your homemade Bacony-Sweet Biscuits in half.
- Cut your chicken thighs to fit your biscuit.
- Fill your biscuits with the chicken thigh pieces.