Superbly moist strawberry cupcakes topped with a strawberry frosting. A wonderful way to enjoy sweet Summer strawberries! Recipe created by the Loveless Cafe Pastry Chefs!
Servings: 30 Cupcakes
- Combine strawberries and lime juice in a small sauce pan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, stir the mixture occasionally, breaking up the berries with a wooden spoon, until strawberries have become soft enough to mash.
- It will look like strawberry jam.
- Once the mixture can coat a spoon remove from the heat. You should have about 1/2 cup of puree.
- While you are waiting for your mixture to cool… you can make your cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin pan with 30 cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the milk and sour cream, mix well to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add in flour mixture alternating with sour cream/milk mixture.
- Stir in the hot water, beating just until combined; set aside.
- Place the diced strawberries and 1/4 cup flour into a small bowl; toss well to coat berries.
- Fold strawberries and remaining flour into batter, stirring just until combined.
- Fill the prepared cupcake tins 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make your frosting.
- Place the softened butter in the bowl of your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-speed, scraping down the sides as needed, until completely smooth.
- Add the 1/2 cup of strawberry puree and beat until completely combined.
- Add in the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time, on low speed.
- Once all sugar has been added, add the heavy cream and salt, then beat on high-speed until it is nice and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.