These super-moist cupcakes are berrylicious and might just be the best way to enjoy the fruits at the peak of their summer season.
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
Servings: 30 Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with 30 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together 4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine milk and sour cream, mixing well.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat together butter, oil, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Slowly add flour mixture and sour cream mixture, alternating between the two until well-combined.
- Bring ½ cup water to a boil and stir in boiling water, beating batter just until combined.
- Place diced strawberries and remaining ¼ cup flour in a small bowl.
- Toss berries to coat. Fold strawberries into batter, stirring gently until combined.
- Divide batter among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Place tins on wire rack and let cool before removing cupcakes.
- Cupcakes must be cool before they are frosted.
- Combine strawberries and lime juice in a small saucepan.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Mash strawberries with a wooden spoon and continue to simmer until berries become jam-like.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed, scraping down the sides as needed, until completely smooth.
- Add ¼ cup of strawberry puree and beat until completely combined.
- At low speed, add confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Once combined, add heavy cream, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat on high speed until fluffy (approximately 2 minutes).
- Frost cooled cupcakes and serve.