Southern Turnip Greens
This easy recipe results in a delicious dish of tender cooked greens sure to please any palate. As served in the Loveless Cafe !
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens.
- Chop greens, and wash thoroughly two to three time to insure no grit; set aside in a large bowl.
- Roughly chop raw bacon and render in a large stockpot, with canola oil over low heat for 5 minutes before adding chopped onion.
- Increase to medium high heat and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add diced ham, crushed red pepper, honey, vinegar and 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add cleaned, chopped greens and simmer for approximately four hours without lid, stirring occasionally and adding extra water if needed.
- Once greens are fully cooked and tender, taste for seasoning and add salt if desired.
Note: The juice from cooking the turnip greens is called “Pot Liquor” and can be used as a dip for your biscuits or cornbread.