Frosting the cake:
- Place one layer, bottom side up, on a cake stand or dessert platter.
- Top with 1 cup of the frosting, spreading it evenly to the edges.
- Sprinkle 1⁄2 cup coconut over the frosting and top with the second layer.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Cover the cake completely with the remaining 2 cups coconut by sprinkling it on top and pressing it lightly onto the sides.
*Baking Tip: Self-rising flour is a Southern staple, since it’s what we almost always use in biscuits. If you don’t have any on hand, you can substitute 2 1/3 cups cake flour and 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder.