Everyone’s favorite side, our Southern Macaroni and Cheese is decadent enough to double as a standalone supper. Now you can recreate the same recipe that we’ve been serving for decades at the Loveless Cafe. Don’t worry—if you want to tell your friends that you came up with the recipe on your own, we’re fine with that too.
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a large rectangular baking dish and set aside.
- Bring water and ½ tablespoon salt to boil in a stock pot.
- Add macaroni, stirring occasionally. For creamy Macaroni and Cheese, be sure to cook the pasta until limp, not al dente (approximately 7 to 8 minutes).
- Drain macaroni and pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until very lightly browned to make a roux then remove from heat.
- Heat milk in a separate pan over medium heat and whisk into the roux.
- Bring to a low boil to thicken then add remaining salt, cayenne, and cheeses.
- Remove from heat and stir well until cheese is melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over the cooked macaroni and mix well.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes then serve.
If you’re in a rush, our Heat n’ Macaroni and Cheese is easy, cheesy, breezy, and always available on our website for homemade Southern cooking without the fuss.