Red Velvet Cupcakes
A sweet Southern classic, these dense, chocolaty cupcakes are as magical as they sound! Recipe by Pastry Chef Christa Nash with the Loveless Cafe
Servings: Makes 24 Cupcakes
- Preheat convection oven to 300°F (conventional 320°F). Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cocoa, and salt into a bowl, whisk briefly to combine; and set aside.
- In an electric mixing bowl on medium speed, mix together sugar and canola oil until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl to ensure that they are completely incorporated.
- Add food coloring, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Reduce to low speed. Add dry ingredients in batches, scraping sides of bowl to ensure batter is mixed well.
- Add buttermilk; scrape sides of bowl until incorporated well.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.
- Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester in center comes out clean, about 20minutes. Transfer tins to a wire rack and cool completely before removing cupcakes.
*Be sure your cupcakes are cooled completely before you ice them with the cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
- On medium speed; mix cream cheese and butter together until soft and smooth. Scraping sides of bowl to be sure all ingredients are incorporated well.
- On low speed; slowly add sifted confectioners sugar in batches, scraping sides of bowl. Add the vanilla and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Baking Tip: Do not use reduced fat or nonfat cream cheese.
Frost your cupcakes and enjoy!