A sweet Southern classic, these dense, chocolaty cupcakes are as magical as they sound! Recipe by our Pastry Chef, Christa Nash.
Servings: Makes 24 Cupcakes
- Preheat convection oven to 300°F (320°F for conventional ovens). Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cocoa, and salt into a bowl. Whisk briefly to combine and set aside.
- In an electric mixing bowl on medium speed, mix together sugar and canola oil until blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl to ensure that they are completely incorporated.
- Add food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Mix on low speed. Add dry ingredients in batches, scraping sides of bowl to ensure batter is mixed well.
- Add buttermilk and scrape sides of bowl until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.
- Bake, rotating halfway through, until a cake tester in the center comes out clean (about 20 minutes).
- Allow to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- On medium speed, mix cream cheese and butter together until soft and smooth. Scrape sides of bowl to be sure all ingredients are incorporated well.
- On low speed, slowly add sifted confectioners sugar in batches, scraping sides of bowl. Add the vanilla and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Frost your cupcakes and enjoy!
Baking Tip: Do not use reduced fat or nonfat cream cheese.