Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Brown Sugar Buttercream
Two pillowy pumpkin cookies filled with a fluffy brown sugar buttercream.
Servings: Makes approximately 60 cookies/30 pies (2 cookies per pie)
- Preheat convection oven to 300°F (low fan), (conventional 320°F). Line the bottoms of your sheet pans with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a bowl, whisk briefly to combine; and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl on medium speed, mix together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, pumpkin and vanilla alternately with the dry ingredients, scraping the bowl to ensure everything is completely incorporated.
- With a 1 oz. scoop, scoop batter about 2” apart onto prepared sheet pans.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- When pies are cool… spread buttercream on the flat side of one pie, and place a second pie on top, flat side on the buttercream. You have created a Whoopie Pie!
*Be sure your cake is cooled completely before you fill with icing.
*If you’re familiar with a pastry bag, you can fill with buttercream and pipe onto pie.
Brown Sugar Buttercream Icing
- Place egg whites and brown sugar in a stainless steel bowl, place over a water bath stirring until mixture reached 160°F. Pour mixture in mixing bowl and beat with a wire whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Switch to a paddle, gradually adding cold butter until incorporated.
* If mixture curdles, switch back to whisk and whip until smooth & fluffy.