A Loveless Events specialty, this tender chicken is stuffed with a delicious golden cornbread and drizzled with an onion cream sauce that’s sure to please your company!
Servings: 2½ to 3 pounds
Make Cornbread Stuffing
- Crumble already prepared cornbread into a large mixing bowl.
- Dice onions, celery, and red bell peppers. Mince garlic, thyme, sage, and parsley. Slice green onions thinly and crush whole pecans into bite size pieces.
- Add bell peppers, thyme, sage, parsley, green onions, pecans, and kosher salt to mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Place a medium sauté pan on stove and turn heat to medium. Add butter and let melt.
- Add garlic, onion, and celery to sauté pan and cook until softened. This should take approximately 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add to cornbread mix. Add chicken broth and eggs and mix all ingredients well. The cornbread mix should be springy, but firm.
- If the mixture is too loose, add more crumbled cornbread. If too thick, add more chicken broth.
- Cool and prepare to stuff chicken.
Prepare Chicken Breasts
- Run a pairing knife through chicken breast to create a pocket.
- Pack the cornbread stuffing into chicken, so it is filled completely. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let the stuffing set in chicken.
- Pour flour, buttermilk and Chicken Breading in separate bowls.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour and dip in buttermilk. Coat with Chicken Breading.
- Fry chicken at 325 degrees in a deep fryer for 10 to 15 minutes. The middle of the breading should meet an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Place chicken on paper towel covered plate and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice chicken.
Make Onion Cream Sauce
- Mince garlic. Then, julienne yellow onion and green onions thinly.
- In a small sauce pot, add heavy cream and heat over medium heat. Reduct the volume of heavy cream from 3 cups to 2 cups.
- In a small sauté pan, set to medium heat and add oil.
- Add garlic and jilienned yellow onions. Sautee until onions are translucent and remove from heat.
- Add sauteed onion, garlic, bayleaf, salt, pepper, and chicken stock to the pot with the reduced heavy cream. Simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove bayleaf. Mix in green onion.
- Serve hot and enjoy!