Take a step back in time with this Old Fashioned Chow Chow recipe. This is a larger recipe designed for storing in jars. Its an easy vintage recipe that reminds us of simpler times. This recipe is designed to be put in half -pint jars and sealed. You can also purchase our version of Mild Chow Chow or Hot Chow Chow and ship it to your friends & family around the country!
Servings: 10-12 Half Pint Jars
- Combine the cabbage, onions, green and red bell peppers, tomatoes, and salt in a large bowl.
- Soak the mixture overnight in the refrigerator and drain.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat combine the sugar, mustard, turmeric, ginger, mustard seed, celery seed, whole spices, and vinegar.
- Simmer mixture for 10 minutes. Add the vegetables stir well and simmer until hot and well seasoned.
- Pack the chow-chow into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space in jar.
- Cover with 1/8-inch layer of melted paraffin; seal with a 2 piece lid.
- Heat the jar in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes to seal the lids.