Lemon Sweet Tea Cupcakes
A cute cupcake with lemon and sweet tea flavors makes the perfect southern summer dessert for your next picnic! This recipe was created by our Loveless Cafe Pastry Chef Christa Nash!
Servings: 30 Cupcakes
- Preheat convection oven to 300°F (conventional 320°F). Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, oil and sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping bowl. Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add flour mixture, milk and lemon juice alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared cupcake liners, each about three-quarters full.
- Place in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
Sweet Tea Buttercream
- In a small pot, bring the milk and tea bag to a boil; set aside and allow to steep for about 30 minutes.
- In an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and cream cheese together scraping down sides of bowl, making sure it’s blended well.
- Slowly add steeped tea milk, salt and Ice tea powder, scrape sides of bowl, blend well.
- Turn mixer on low-speed, gradually add confectioners sugar, scraping sides of bowl in between additions. After all sugar is added, raise speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Refrigerate any leftover buttercream.
Once the lemon cupcakes are cooled, top with the sweet tea buttercream and a lemon maraschino cherry (or your favorite garnish) and serve ‘em up!