Forever a fish fry favorite, Hush Puppies are a must with the catfish dinners served at the Loveless Cafe. This classic recipe was once featured on the Martha Stewart Show.
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
- Fill a deep skillet with 2 to 3 inches of oil.
- Heat oil until it reaches 375 degrees on a deep fry thermometer.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in green onions. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolk and buttermilk then stir into cornmeal mixture until combined.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into cornmeal mixture.
- Working in batches, drop batter into oil using a 1-ounce scoop and cook, turning once, until the hush puppies rise to the surface and are golden brown (approximately 2 to 3 minutes).
- Transfer to a paper towel. Serve immediately.