Ever since 1951, we’ve been cooking our Famous Fried Chicken using the original recipe from Annie Loveless. And yes, we’ll be keeping it under lock and key right alongside our biscuit recipe. However, with our Loveless Cafe Fried Chicken Breading and this recipe, you can replicate the famously crispy Fried Chicken we’ve been serving for decades at home.
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
- Cut chicken into eight pieces and rinse. Soak in cold salted water for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Pour Fried Chicken Breading into a bowl.
- Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (375 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Dredge chicken in breading, coating well on all surfaces. Pat off excess breading and place chicken in hot oil, making sure pieces are not touching each other.
- When chicken is browned (approximately 5 minutes), turn pieces over and reduce heat to medium (300 degrees).
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, increase heat to medium-high and flip chicken. Cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Drain chicken on a paper towel before serving.