Double Chocolate Fudge Cake
Double Chocolate anything sounds great!
Servings: MAKES A 9-INCH TRIPLE-LAYER CAKE; SERVES 14 TO 16
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease three 9-inch cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl and blend on low speed for about 30 seconds to mix.
- Add the butter, sour cream, and unsweetened chocolate.
- Continue to beat on low until thoroughly combined.
- Scrape the bowl and raise the speed to medium; mix until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla and mix to blend well.
- Divide the batter evenly among the pans.
- Bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 5 to 10 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack and let cool completely.
- Place the bittersweet chocolate and half-and-half in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on the lowest setting or the defrost setting for 1 minute; stir well. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir again.
- Repeat, if necessary, until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Let cool until tepid; do not refrigerate.
- You can also us a double boiler... Let chocolate melt and stir until well blended. Let cool until tepid; do not refrigerate.
Frosting the cake:
- Place one layer bottom side up on a cake stand or dessert platter, you may have to trim the top of each layer so they are level.
- Keep the trimmings for a snack.
- Top with 2/3 cup of the Chocolate Glaze, spreading it to the edge of the cake.
- Set another layer on top and repeat.
- Set the top layer in place and pour the remaining glaze slowly over the center.
- Using a spatula, guide the glaze to the edges of the cake as you turn the stand so that the chocolate slowly spills over the sides and drips down the cake.