A delicious treat, these cranberry-orange muffins are heavy on the flavor with a crunchy sugar topping.
Servings: 12 muffins
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup sugar with zest from 1/2 orange and 24 cranberries that were reserved from the 1/12 cups; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and ginger, set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar and eggs, until combined, add melted butter and oil, mix until incorporated, then add buttermilk, vanilla, almond and orange zest from the second orange half, mix until incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the egg mixture, blend together until incorporated.
- Fold in cranberries (not the 24 cranberries that are reserved for the top of the muffins).
- Scoop batter into prepared liners, each about three-quarters full.
- Top with reserved cranberry,sugar & orange zest mixture; 2 cranberries per muffin.
- Place in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.