Just as they’re served at the Loveless Cafe, with our famous biscuits as the dumplings, of course.
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
- Prepare Biscuit Mix according to package instructions. Do not roll out dough. Cover dough and refrigerate until needed.
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, boil chicken breasts in chicken stock until fully cooked (approximately 10 minutes).
- Remove chicken from pot, let cool, then cut into quarter-sized pieces and set aside, keeping the stock hot until needed.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat then sauté onion and celery until translucent.
- Add sautéed onions and celery to hot chicken stock.
- Stir in thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Scoop out dough using two small spoons to create dollops that are approximately the size of a nickel.
- Add a batch of 12 to 15 dumplings at a time to stock pot.
- Allow to simmer for approximately 5 minutes before adding another batch. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
- After simmering for 1 hour, add chopped chicken and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Check for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper to taste.