Maple Buttermilk Biscuits
This recipe, by Matt Dolberfuhl, won 1st place in the 2017 Loveless Cafe Biscuit Contest at the Williamson County Fair.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and mix just until combined.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface.
- Gently pat dough to 1/2 ” thickness.
- Fold dough 4 times, drizzling maple syrup in between each layer.
- Pat to 1” thickness.
- Cut biscuits with a 2” cutter and layer into a greased 9x13 pan; set aside.
- Cook sausage thoroughly and set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle cooled sausage and cheese over the biscuits.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs then add milk, mustard salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over biscuits, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 - 40 minutes until lightly browned. Entire dish should be firm.