This recipe, by Linda Mosley, won 2nd place in the 2017 Loveless Cafe Biscuit Contest at the Williamson County Fair.
Drop Biscuit Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together buttermilk and melted butter.
- Pour buttermilk mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula, just until moist.
- Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the prepared baking sheet making 18 drop biscuits.
- Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Combine all ingredients in a large, non-reactive pot (stainless steel).
- Bring to a boil and then reduce temperature to a simmer, stirring regularly.
- Continue to simmer until it reduces to a sticky, jammy mess. This will take between 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- When the jam has cooked down sufficiently, remove from heat and fill clean jars, leaving 1/4 inch of space in the top of the jar.
- Wipe rims, apply lids and twist on rings.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes.
- When time is up, remove jars from water bath and allow them to cool.
- When jars are cool enough to handle, test seals.
- Store jars in a cool, dark place for up to one year.
- Split homemade biscuit in half and place on a plate.
- Top with tomato jam and goat cheese.
- Garish with fresh basil leaves.