Banana Pudding with Homemade Wafers
As served in the Loveless Cafe! This homemade banana pudding will bring back wonderful memories from years past. Enjoy!
- For the pastry cream, place the cornstarch in a bowl. Add enough of the milk to completely dissolve it.
- Add the egg yolks to the cornstarch and milk mixture and whisk together.
- Place the vanilla bean and sugar in a heavy-bottomed, stainless steel pot.
- Add the remaining milk and bring it to a boil.
- When the milk is boiling, reduce the heat slightly to prevent it from boiling over the sides of the pot.
- With a small ladle, whisk a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mix.
- Repeat this step until one-third of the milk is mixed into the eggs.
- Whisk this mixture into the remaining boiling milk and return it to a boil while you continue to whisk it.
- The mix will thicken quickly. Continue whisking for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and pour the cream through a sieve into a heat-proof dish (removing any lumps that may have formed).
- Press plastic wrap onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the wafers, place 1 3/4 cup of the sugar and eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer, and whip on high speed until it reaches the ribbon stage, (just before the soft peak stage.)
- Sift the flour over the eggs in several batches, folding it in gently.
- Using a piping bag with a straight tip, pipe the batter into quarter-size wafers.
- Sprinkle liberally with the remaining sugar and bake for 10 -12 minutes or until completely golden to light brown.
Assembling your Banana Pudding
- To assemble, spread a small amount of the Pastry Cream in a decorative trifle dish.
- Top with a layer of sliced fresh bananas and then a layer of wafers.
- Spread enough pastry cream over this to create a smooth and level surface. Repeat these steps to fill the dish, ending with a layer of the cream.
- Wrap well and allow the pudding to sit 6 to 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, decorate with the whipped cream and wafers.