Everything’s better with bacon! We’ve taken your classic recipe for southern pecans and added Maple Bacon for an extra crunch and ultimate sweetness.
Servings: Yields 1 - 1½ dozen pralines
- To caramelize sugar: In a pan over medium heat, allow ½ cup sugar to slowly melt. DO NOT STIR! Instead, tilt your pan side to side until sugar is completely melted and becomes a dark amber color (about 10 minutes).
- In a large pot, combine heavy cream, sugar and pecans and bring to a boil (do this while you are caramelizing your 2 cups of sugar).
- Once cream mixture and caramelized sugar are boiling, slowly pour caramelized sugar into the cream mixture, stirring constantly. Mixture will bubble considerably!
- Cook on high 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the soft-ball stage (the point when a small amount of the mixture is dropped into cold water and forms a soft ball, which will flatten on its own when removed. At least 234°F but no more than 240°F on a candy thermometer). Add butter and lemon juice and combine.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the chopped bacon. (We like to use Maplewood Smoked Bacon but try any flavor you’d like!) Keep stirring slowly, until the mixture starts to cool and become hazy in color.
- Drop by the spoonful onto a sheet of parchment paper and let cool completely.