Bacon Apple Pie
Have you ever heard of such a thing? Replace a traditional pie dough lattice with crispy bacon and the result is an absolute sweet & salty miracle!
Servings: Makes a 9-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pie shell on a sturdy baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves and lemon zest together with your fingertips until blended.
- Add the apples and toss to coat.
- Dump the spiced apple slices into the pie shell, including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
- Weave the uncooked bacon on top of the pie filling, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges.
- For a lattice topping you should have an over-under pattern with 4-6 pieces going vertically and 4-6 pieces going horizontally.
- Trim the edges just to the edge of the crust.
- Bake the pie in the middle of the oven for 1 hour. Check after 30 minutes to see how your bacon is browning.
- After 1 hour turn up oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Continue baking for 15 - 25 minutes until golden brown and bacon is crisp.
- Let pie cool for 1 hour before cutting.
Be sure to use a high quality thick bacon. If you do not use a high quality thick bacon it will take less time to cook and I would suggest covering the pie with foil for the first hour of cooking.