This pie is sinfully delicious and couldn’t be easier to make at home. A tender, flaky pie crust filled with cinnamon and sugar-coated apples, then topped with a flavorful oat crumb topping, makes this one of our favorite dessert recipes!
Oat Crumb Topping
Servings: 9" Pie
- Place the oats, flour, dark brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium size bowl. Gently mix and break up any lumps. Take care not to crush the oats.
- Add the cold butter and gently rub the ingredients together with your fingertips to produce a mealy texture.
- Refrigerate while you prepare the apple filling.
Apple Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the pie shell on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil, then set aside.
- Prepare the apples by peeling the skin, removing the seeds and cutting into ½-inch thick slices. Place apple slices in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, mix the brown sugar, cornstarch, and spices together with your fingertips until blended. Work out any lumps. Add the apples and toss to coat.
- Pour the spiced apples into the pie shell, including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the pie, leaving a ½-inch border uncovered. The topping will spread to cover the entire pie while baking.
- Bake on the middle rack for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling and the crumb topping is lightly browned all over.