close cooking mode
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in onions.
- Combine egg yolk and buttermilk; stir into cornmeal mixture until combined.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold into cornmeal mixture.
- Fill a large deep skillet with 2 to 3 inches oil. Heat oil until it reaches 375* on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Working in batches, drop batter 1 t at a time into the oil and cook, turning once until the hush puppies rise to the surface and are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately.